Final Peace Agreement Colombia

While discussions progressed on the first agenda item (integral rural development), the peace process experienced its first major crisis at the end of January 2013, after the abduction of two police officers by the FARC in the Valle del Cauca on 25 January. The incident was followed by a FARC ambush that killed four soldiers in the department of Nariño on 31 January and the killing of three other policemen in the department of La Guajira on 1 February. The FARC claimed that these actions were in retaliation for a military bombing that killed 20 guerrillas during the FARC`s unilateral ceasefire (which ended on January 20). Government negotiators in Havana argued that such actions undermined the peace process. By bringing the war to the negotiating table, both sides have broken their understanding so far of not letting the events of the conflict influence the process and the conflict has degenerated into a war of words between the two sides. The government, under pressure from former President Uribe`s fiery opposition to the peace process, warned the FARC that it would react in the same way and would not be put under pressure to discuss a bilateral ceasefire (as requested by the FARC). [31] Other measures to implement the agreements are:[112] In early February, the government and the FARC again quarrelled over the referendum issue. The FARC argued in a statement that the referendum was contrary to the general agreement (from August 2012). In response, President Santos tweeted that the final deal would be put to a referendum in Havana, whether or not it plagiarizes the FARC. [68] In late February, the FARC`s “armed proselytism” sparked significant controversy at a “political pedagogy” event (attended by Iván Marquez and other negotiators) in La Guajira. Since 2015, FARC negotiators had been allowed by the government to travel to Colombia to hold “political-educational” events only with their troops, and until then, all these activities had been carried out without major problems. However, the presence of armed men who mingled with the civilian population at this particular event in La Guajira raised fears of the use of weapons by guerrillas during political events. President Santos informed the guerrillas that the “politico-pedagogical” policy demonstrations were suspended until further notice and issued an ultimatum for a final agreement to be signed on March 23, i.e.

that the FARC is not ready for peace. Semana said the incident was a blow to confidence in the peace process, which came at a critical time. [69] On December 15, the negotiating parties finally announced final agreement on the fifth agenda item (victims), which covers transitional justice. It was based on the Truth Commission, the 23 September agreement on special justice for peace and the October announcements on the missing persons unit. [27] The agreement ensures that extradition will not be granted for offences and offences within the jurisdiction of the PEC and committed during the armed conflict preceding the signing of the final agreement. . . .

About the Author